- Basculin is a powerful wallbreaker due to its ability, Adaptability.
- Superpower nails some Water-immune Pokemon such as Cacturne and Cradily, as well as being a powerful attack in general.
- Ice Beam can be used to nail physical walls weak to Ice, particularly Gabite and Tangela, which takes very little from any of Basculin's attacks.
- Toxic can be used to catch some of Basculin's checks on a switch, allowing it to be worn down easier.
- Zen Headbutt is a moderately powerful coverage move which has a primary function of hitting Poliwrath.
- Waterium Z can be used to abuse Basculin's Adaptability with a 1-time extremely powerful hit.
- Splash Plate can be used to boost Basculin's Water-type moves without the drawback of recoil, and it can possibly bluff a choice set.
- 29 HP IVs reduce both Life Orb and Stealth Rock damage by 1, giving Basculin slightly more longevity